Ausdruck von www.tamsweg.info am 19.05.2019
© 2019 http://www.tamsweg.info
The historic Market in Tamsweg
The oldest verifiable right to hold a weekly market dates back to the year 1416. At that time the Archbishop was regulating the whole system of markets in the region. However we can assume that the right of the people of Tamsweg to hold a market goes back further in time. In 1246 Archbishop Eberhard II presented his cathedral chapter’half the market’, or as it says in the Latin document ‘medietatem fori’. The well-planned market-square probably dates back to this period. Since then it has always been the centre of Tamsweg. There are several other indications that a market existed previously, among them a document from 1344 in which the first verifiable market inspector named Gibelein appears. The oldest preserved seal of a Tamsweg market inspector dates back to the year 1348.
Important Houses on the Market Square
The Town Hall (Rathaus)
The present town hall was mentioned in documents as long ago as 1452. It was altered in 1545 when it took on its present appearance. The building was in the possession of the Gressing family until 1627. It then changed owners several times until in 1775 it was bought by Gregor Lederwasch IV, a painter and surveyor to the prince, as well as the verger at the pilgrimage church of St Leonhard’s. On 12.9.1895 the Municipal Council decided to purchase this house, which was at the time an inn and trading house, in order to convert it into a town hall. Tamsweg town hall can indisputably be described as the jewel of this historically important market square.
The Platz Brewery House - (Platzbrauhaus)
Around 1500 this was owned by the market inspector Lang. 16th century trading house Landsperger; 17th century inn, butcher’s shop also trade in salt, iron and wine; Until 1788 home of the market inspector Peter Paul Prandstatter, then Platz brewery
The Gambs Inn – (Gambswirthaus)
From 1430 harness-maker and furrier; 1587 Thomas Friad, cloth and leather merchant; from 1716 Johann Gambs from nearby village of Lessach, hotel, trade in salt, fruit and iron until 1831; 1901 savings bank; 1910 Murau brewery; since 1950 Maier family.
The Lebzelter House or Brewery
Built about 1430; 1588 Thomas Fraid trade in cloth and Speik, an alpine medicinal plant; From 1664 Wind family; from 1939 Wieland family.
The Kasstecher House
Built about 1430; in the 16th century the Weger Inn; 17th century Seitlinger family, cobbler’s house; from 1886 Lettmayer family.
The Grocer’s House – (Kramerhaus)
Built about 1430; in the 16th century tailor, in the 17th century hat maker; 1718 – 1753 Merchant and market inspector Krueger; from 1753 Georg Wisenegger, who built the present house front; 1874 Lettmayer family; since 2001 Lankmayer family.
The Grossing Brewery House – (Grossing-Brauhaus)
Built about 1534: from the 16th century until 1701 Gell family with salt and iron trade: until 1838 inn, then Grossing brewery; from 1930 Zitz family; Since 1996 Winkler family.
Old Wine Tavern – (Altes Weinstubl)
Built about 1522; 1550 Pagge house, merchants, innkeepers and market inspector; from 1893 butcher’s shop, 1929 wine-tavern; from 1993 Maier family.
The Gelln Inn – (Gellnwirthaus)
Built about 1430; home of important families; about 1450 Wolf von Keutschach (curator of the castle at Moosham), 1527 Franz von Thanhausen (the representative of the ruling archbishop), Baron Khuen Belasi, 1618 Jocher von Eggersperg, 1627 Gell family, inn with trade in wine, salt and iron; from 1897 Gruber family.
Built about 1430; 1510 – 1680 the Petschachers rich merchants, 1586 the market inspector, Veit Petschacher, obtained the coat of arms for Tamsweg from the archbishop; from 1680 Robinig family; 1826 Steyrer merchant, 1886 Kandolf family.
You will find further information about the historic houses in Tamsweg in the ‘Tamsweg Cultural Guide’ ‘Kulturfuhrer Tamsweg’ obtainable for 1 Euro at the tourist office in Tamsweg