Ausdruck von www.tamsweg.info am 19.05.2019
© 2019 http://www.tamsweg.info
Pilgrimage Church St. Leonhard
During the later Middle Ages St Leonhard’s along with Mariazell and St Wolfgang’s was one of the most frequented pilgrimage churches in what is now Austria. Pilgrimages to the hill at the edge of the town began in 1421 when the picture of St Leonhard which had disappeared from the parish church in Tamsweg was found there three times. Large donations were made and the Salzburg master builder Peter Harperger was commissioned to construct a church. On 20 September 1433 it was consecrated by Bishop Johann Ebser of Chiemsee. When in July 1478 the first advances by the Turks reached the Lungau region defensive installations were attached to St Leonhard’s In addition to the construction and position of the church there are several noteworthy features.
The Golden Window
The Golden Window (see below). It is made up of only gold and blue glass panes. It was endowed by Archbishop Johann II (1431 – 1442). The window with the Apostles’ Mill is a symbolic portrayal of the intermediation of God’s word. It was endowed by Konrad Heltzler in 1434. The St Leonhard’s altar no longer exists but some of its fixtures remain: the panels showing the legend of St Leonhard and the Church Fathers, the pillars of the wooden organ- gallery and the statue of St Leonhard. Parts of the original high altar also still exist; the pairs of panels with reliefs on the inner sides and scenes from the life of the Virgin Mary on the outer sides. On the upper part of the high altar there are representations of St Leonhard and St James. A Madonna with Child which also comes from the gothic high altar is to be found on the northern side-wall. Another interesting feature of the interior is to be seen in one of the southern chapels. Here there is a three-seated choir stool with richly carved side-pieces.
It is ascribed to the master carver Petrus Pistator who was working at about 1450. It is one of the earliest examples of marquetry north of the Alps. On the same hill there also stands the Saukapelle, a gothic wayside chapel, dating back to 1430. On the same hill there also stands the Saukapelle, a gothic wayside chapel,dating back to 1430.
Basic Pilgrim's Package
- One night in a room of your preferred category, breakfast included.
- Free entrance to the public swimming pool "BadeINSEL", or a guided tour through Tamsweg's museum of local history
Prices are per person and per night in a double room (surcharge for a single room: € 5,-)
Hotel***/Restaurant € 49,-
Bed & Breakfast € 44,-
Private apartment or room on a farm € 34,-
During the later medieval period the pilgrimage church of St. Leonhard in Tamsweg, together with the ones in Mariazell and St. Wolfgang, used to be one of the most frequently visited pilgrimage sites within the area of modern day Austria. In addition to visiting the pilgrimage church of St. Leonhard, visitors can also learn more about the origins of the world famous Christmas carol "Silent Night" at the Josef Mohr Museum.
- 3 nights at a hotel***/Bed & Breakfast, including half board.
- 1 guided tour through the pilgrimage church of St. Leonhard
- 1 guided tour through the Josef Mohr Museum
- 1 brochure about the parish church of Tamsweg
prices from € 129,- per person in a double room
(Package can be booked in any room category; offer valid from beginning of June to end of October; please enquire about discounts for children; single rooms are available for a surcharge on request)